Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Working at Ben Franklin - Summer of '44

Skipping ahead to the summer of 1944 when I worked full time at the Ben Franklin Store in Chillicothe. Here is the entire staff posing for a picture. The store changed hands that summer and Mr. Lee, the gentleman behind the cosmetics counter, became the manager. He used to say he got me with the store - along with the other ladies, of course. I had the hardware counter which was at the very back on the same side, and I so wanted to change. However, they told me that was the "romance" counter because all the men came there. Now, really! It really was fun working there. My buddy, Wilma Lee, in the polka dot dress, had the cosmetic counter.
Darlene, Anna Mae and Mrs. Lee are in the back row, and Goldie, little Alice Lee, and Carol are in front. Looks like I have a hairbow and really white shoes! Ben Franklin's was still open when we moved back to Chillicothe in the mid '80's and was still a lot of fun to shop. (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. Carol - I LOVE this picture - you look so sweet - did you spend much time in the craft section (lol)?

    ReplyDelete