Tuesday, July 21, 2009

My Dad's Family

My father worked on a farm in Rome, Illinois, that was owned by the Benton family. Here he is ready for a day's work with a very large wagon and a nice team of horses.
There are so few pictures of his family that I have ever seen. Dad is the fellow on the left with his hand in the air. Standing to his left is a very pretty lady that just might be Lillian, his first wife. The fellow next to him is Joe Thorne, husband of dad's sister, Barbara, who is standing just in front of them and his other sister, Carrie, in the front of her. The little older lady with the big grin is my grandmother, Caroline. I think at least two of the remaining girls are also sisters, but it's only a guess on my part.

What this occasion is, I don't know, but it looks like they were off to have some fun. Cut off at the right of the picture is my grandmother. I believe there are at least two aunts there, also. Who the girl with the flowers around her neck is I have no idea but wonder if there was a wedding. Wouldn't it be nice if people wrote down names and dates on pictures? Eventually no one knows anything about old photos. (Click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment