Thursday, July 30, 2009

Square Dancing


I am jumping even further into the future - the late 50's or early 60's - and adding another family. My old sweetie and I were square dancers for many years, and we had such fun times and made such great friends and it was cheap entertainment. We danced in Illinois, Iowa and the Kansas City area where you could dance every night of the week and at any level you could master. We didn't go overboard on that, however. We did get into some of the more difficult dancing but not "challenge". Square dancing was also great exercise. Most of the gals made their dresses and I was no exception. I have pulled gathering threads on three tiered skirts by the mile! I also made a couple of shirts for Ray to match my dresses. This was one of them. Making shirts was not such fun especially the band under the collar and the opening above the cuff. We wore crinoline petticoats and ruffled pantaloons - and the guys wore western shirts, bolo ties and carried little fingertip towels to wipe their foreheads. Ray also had some nice short boots that he wore. As evident, I danced in my mocassins most of the time. This all sounds corny, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Many wonderful times were had at square dances! (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. Okay Carol-
    I'm so glad you told me to come here and check out your pictures...I just love them. I think it's wonderful that you danced so much and enjoyed it. I remember my parents took jitterbug lessons every Friday night when I was a girl...in the town where I grew up, we always had a dance involved with every celebration and we usually had a caller for a square dance or two...so fun.
    I take back what I said about not liking the dresses...I love yours. It's so much better than some I had seen in the past that were way too over the top and way too flashy for my taste....believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete