Friday, July 17, 2009

I Love the Old Pictures

I have aways had a fascination with the old pictures from both sides of the family and also from my husband's family. In 1996 when we got our first computer and after I had learned to do great wonderful amazing things like copy and paste, scan, import pictures, etc., I started putting together a family history of sorts using the many pictures we had from our parents, grandparents and our family, too. It worked out into seven sections - Ray's maternal and paternal grandparents, his parents, my maternal and paternal grandparents and my parents and our family. It isn't true geneology but just putting names and places to pictures as well as we could and I know some of it probably contains many errors, but at least it is something for future generations. I had done a lot of work on it, but in September of 1997, Ray became ill and he passed away in October. I could not bring myself to work on the book.

During the winter of 2001, I got it out and started working on it again. I so enjoyed doing it and it was a bittersweet experience. I ended up with 200 pages (on one side) and had it spiral bound at the copy center. In a way, I was sorry it was finished.

I have had a blog for over a year now and enjoy that very much. It is mainly about my quilts but also gardening, antiques, and various and sundry other things that come to me. I have been posting old pictures once in a while and calling them Pieces of the Past. I find that people seem to enjoy looking at these glimpses into times gone by. I will continue to post pictures in my Funoldhag blog but thought it would be fun to put lots and lots of them here. This will be the start.


This is the home of my grandparents, Dan and Maggie Pearce, at 319 Behrends Avenue, Peoria, Illinois - no zip codes back then, no area codes, every thing was very low-tech. That is me with grandpa and grandma. I am so excited to have this picture that my brother, Bud, sent me the other day over the internet along with a lot more that I was equally glad to get. This is how I remember their home - the coping along the front yard which we used to walk--it started further up the street quite low than got higher as it went downhill. This was like a second home to me and I am sure to my sister and brother, too, as we would get to come visit separately in the summer time and also on Christmas vacation (it was Christmas vacation back then).
(Click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment