Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cousins

When I was working on my family history book several years ago, I found some negatives that produced pictures I had never seen. It was so rare to find pictures of us as small children and you can be sure I was thrilled to have these. I am in the middle and Jo is on the right with little brother Buddy in front. When I saw this for the first time, my immediate reaction was that my sister looks so much like her granddaughter at the same age.
The older girl is our first cousin, Barbara Jo, who was the daughter of dad's sister, Barbara. She was about a year older than I and I did spend some time at their home playing with Barbara Jo. I have a memory of being at their house when the Dionne quintuplets were born. In this photo, we are standing on the bluff on Grand View Drive in Peoria Heights, Illinois, that overlooks the Illinois River. All along the drive are beautiful homes and also places to have a picnic or look at the lovely valley below.

In this picture, the girl on the left is Barbara - she went into nurses' training at St. Francis Hospital in Peoria. This was a picture from the Peoria paper most likely in the late 1940's. (Click to enlarge)

1 comment: