Saturday, July 18, 2009

Inside 319 Behrends Avenue

The piano in the living room with a lacy scarf covering the top and family pictures displayed. Would love to be able to read the names of the sheet music. I think one of the pictures is one of my mother, Nan. When my brother sent this, he said there was a note on the back that he thought Nelle, the eldest child, wrote saying she paid $150.00 for the piano and made $5.00 per month payments. I remember "playing" the piano until my grandfather would get kind of tired of the noise and give me a little pinch!
The parlor at Christmas time. This probably was sometime around 1915, long before I was born. However, I do remember that old Victrola that you wound up and put the little arm with the needle in it down on the record. There is the Christmas tree covered with some sort of snow. The floor lamp is just wonderful!! And there is a dog on the floor - cannot remember anything about that little fellow. The little oval picture on the left side of the window is just like one I have but not the same one. It is Whistler's Mother and has a poem about "mother". Through the years, I have collected a lot of old pictures with poems and it all started with one that I found in my mother-in-law's things called "Married Life". I love those pictures and would find them in antique stores and shows. Also found a few at auctions. (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. I just started taking piano lessons off the internet a couple months ago. I practice on my dad's piano. It once belonged to my Grandma. She bought it at a yard sale years and years ago. . . in fact there is an old picture of it with family photos on top of it. Today it is in my parents house with pictures of my grandparents on top.

    Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures and the stories that go along with them!

    ReplyDelete