Monday, April 18, 2011

Friends Visit Us in Topeka

When we moved from Ft. Madison, Iowa, to Topeka, Kansas, we left a lot of good friends and good times back in Iowa.  If you have followed my blog, you know that I have mentioned square dancing quite a few times.  It was such a fun faction in our lives and was a source of enjoyment at very little cost.  And on top of that, even though we didn't think much about it, it was tiptop exercise.  Three couples who were our best friends came down to visit us to go to a dance in Topeka and here we all are in front of our fireplace with my infamous clown painting that now hangs right above my pc.  Of the eight of us, four are now gone.  The couple on the left live Burlington, Iowa, and the fellow on the right is in an assisted living home in DesMoines.  He actually called me the other night - it was so good to hear from him.  No one was more of a jokester than he, but in such a wonderful way.  This was a great "square" and, although we did not dance together exclusively, we used to get one or two tips in during an evening of dancing.

Here we are, my dancing partner and I with that clown peeking out between us.  This was back in the mid to late 1960's - many, many moons ago.  A great time in our lives.  (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. I adore photos and memories like this. I still fondly recall my parents entertaining friends at our old house in Orland Park, Illinois (in the basement family room) and going to sleep upstairs and still hearing their voices and laughter. It was one of the most comforting, secure feelings. Sadly, only my parents and one other of their friends from the old neighborhood remain on this earth. The time goes by all too quickly.

    Hope you have a blessed Easter week,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete