Thursday, May 20, 2010

Postcard Friendship Friday

In case you don't know where Rome, Illinois, is located - if you followed the old car about 20 miles down the road, you would come to Peoria, Illinois. Rome is located on the Illinois River and was just a wide spot in the road. Many people from Peoria had cottages along the river, including my grandparents, Dan and Maggie, and their family. If you are new to my blog, you can find a lot of pictures and little stories about my family and also that of my late husband. I welcome you to look around and hope you enjoy the pictures and memories of an old woman.


This particular card would have been probably 20 years before we moved to Rome. The building on the right of the picture was the E. A. Lawson General Merchandise Store which was there for a long, long time. I spent my growing up years in Rome, which was just south of Chillicothe, lived without a bathroom or telephone until I was married, and turned out okay! Enjoy. (Click to enlarge)

8 comments:

  1. Delightful post and what wonderful memories for you! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful story! The word delightful fits--and I love this postcard--thank you for sharing a personal touch in connection to it!

    I enjoyed it all. ((hugs))

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoyed looking at your blog! I certainly would enjoy seeing (and perhaps buying) some old paper from the Lawson General Store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your personal memories make that card especially interesting. I knew about a Rome, NY and a Chillicothe, OH, but I didn't know there were places with those names in Illinois too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even a small place like rome had a picture postcard. to me that indicates how popular postcards were.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to take a step back in time and be able to stand in that photographer's shoes. Feel the light breeze, hear the car driving down the road, see the dust blowing from beneath its tires. And then, oh to then be able to go into that store. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful to have a postcard of a place so connected to your family history.

    ReplyDelete