Friday, November 20, 2009

An Old Catalog

On AOL's page this morning, there was an article about Penney's phasing out their big catalog - the last of its kind. They are going for more individual catalogs and the online shopping. No surprise since the way people shop has changed so much. Online shopping is great, especially if you can get free shipping. That reminded me of two old Spiegel catalogs I have saved from 1961 and 1965 - I used to shop Spiegel a lot, especially when we lived in Iowa.
Thought you might get a kick out of this - priced at 4 for $3.90. Most bras ran from $1.50 to 3.00. I read someplace that this style was making a comeback, do you suppose?Some lovely knit sheath dresses. I used to really love this style and have even made some. That was back when I had a nice waistline.
The great things you could order - everything! Even plumbing items. From time to time, I will post some of the multitude of things that could be ordered. The prices were so low - but then so were the paychecks so it was no different back then than it is now. A big difference, however, is all the things that were not around back then - much less to wish for! And so much has come and become obsolete and gone since then with new things still coming. Wow, what a world! (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. I still buy from Penney's catalog but the individualized catalogs are just fine. Montgomery Wards did away with their catalog years ago and then went out of business. Sears no longer has a catalog. Aren't Spiegel catalogs still available. I used to see them in with the magazines at the book store.

    ReplyDelete