Tuesday, November 10, 2009

A Hometown Parade

Chillicothe, Illinois, probably some time in the late thirties or the forties, was the scene of a parade for some occasion. I am guessing that it could have been the Santa Claus parade held in early December each year - the trees in Cutright Park that is just past the building on the left are devoid of leaves. Leading the parade is a handsome fellow on a horse carrying the flag. My brother speculated that it might be Kenny Koch, a prominent young business man who started out with almost nothing and was extraordinately successful. However, his life was cut short by a tragic snowmobile accident. In the background, the band can be seen marching down Second Street, the main drag in Chilli. The building at left is Kelly's Department Store. How I wish I could see it as it was back then. I wasn't in it too many times, but even I as a young girl knew that they still had some of the stock on their shelves that had been there for years and years. Small towns are wonderful! (Click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment