Sunday, February 27, 2011

Clemies Recipes from Under the Sink

It's always shocking to see the prices from way back - this was most likely sometime in the early to mid thirties.  They are astronomical now in comparison to back then.  What we do know is that wages also were vastly different than they are today so the shock shouldn't be that great.  It would be interesting to know, however, if wages have risen percentagewise as much as prices have.  I suppose that could be found someplace but I don't think I will search for it.   There is also so much more to "want" in this day and age than there was back then.  It's still fun to look at the old ads and see what you used to be able to get for under 25cents.  Now there's hardly anything under $1.00 at the grocery store.  (Click to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. And I still pick up a penny if I see one on the ground even though I can't buy anything unless I have a hundred of them. As my mother, who would have been 90 on Thursday, always said "See a penny, pick it up. All the day you have good luck." I never find myself luckier, but some days the penny is the most I make.

    ReplyDelete