Monday, August 2, 2010

Page from an Old Modern Priscilla

As you may or may not know, I have loved working with fabric, thread and needle since I was a little girl, starting with cross stitch patterns from the "dime store". Usually, the thread would become so entangled I would give up on that. I have done lots of sewing, embroidery, crochet and my very favorite of all - quilting. I am also a big fan of anything vintage. Hence, I love posting to my Pieces of the Past.
Probably twenty or so years ago in Illinois, I loved going to auctions. This page from a December, 1922, Modern Priscilla magazine was in with the many old embroidery patterns and items that were in some boxes I brought home. Makes me smile to think of anyone today cross stitching on their undies - some of the undies would not have room for any stitching.


The other side of the page featured some pretty embroidery patterns that could be traced and
used in many different ways. A bit of nostalgia for the needleworkers out there. (Click to enlarge)

2 comments:

  1. My spouse is not as old as you are, and she does beautiful embroidery work - on dish towels, mostly - to give as gifts to newlyweds. She occupies our 'road hours' while I drive with her stitching. She's never done any of her lingerie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vintage as well! I love old photos -- even those not my own and I love old fabric. I don't understand how some people aren't interested in their past -- it makes us what we are! Love this site.

    ReplyDelete