Friday, July 16, 2010

Sauerkraut Days for PFF

Another postcard from my husband's family's things. When I googled Sauerkraut Day in Forreston, I found that it was held in a little town in north central Illinois from 1913 through 1960 and drew as many as 20,000 people to take part in the celebration. I am a native of Illinois and had not heard of Forreston, but there are lots and lots of small towns throughout the state so there are many I haven't heard of. Looks like it was a fun festival.

The back of the postcard is stamped and ready to go. Happy PFF and thanks to Beth at
http://thebestheartsarecrunchy.blogspot.com/ for hosting. (Click to enlarge)


8 comments:

  1. LOL. World's Largest Crock of Kraut? I'm kind of wondering what's going on in the foreground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People really will celebrate anything, won't they? :) I remember my mom and grandmother making sauerkraut when I was a kid. I even got to stomp it in a big crock once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love sauerkraut and had no idea there was a sauerkraut festival! Someplace should pick it up again! Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic card. The clothing, the houses, the event it commemorates. And it was saved by family. Just fabulous. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Sauerkraut festival - I like the idea. Makes one wonder why such a popular festival stopped in 1960. Happy PFF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reading about the sauerkraut festival--and my mouth is watering. I love the stuff!

    Happy PFF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. People, people, everywhere...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, a lot of people to enjoy the sauerkraut! I wonder if they had polish sausages to go along with it?

    ReplyDelete