Friday, March 12, 2010

Fun Old Advertisements

I so love the old advertisements - especially in the first couple of decades of the 1900's. Here is one I found on the internet that is a favorite. When do you hear the term "stout" anymore? Really, "plus size" does sound much better for us "stout" girls. The dresses are beautiful though.
Lane Bryant has certainly changed from this ad that was in an old Workbasket magazine I have from the early 1950's. So sometime in the last 60 years the term "stout" has been done away with in advertising. It does sound frumpish! Look at the prices of the dresses! Of course, the paychecks back then were pretty small so it's all relative.

Then, there is this that I found on the internet. These bathing suits, caps and slippers were undoubtedly like the ones my grandparents' family wore at the cottage. Cute guy! The bathing suits for the girls would make cute dresses today, don't you think? (Click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment