Thursday, June 14, 2012

Smilin' Jack

The other day when looking around on the net, something caught my eye and took me back to being a little girl again - a comic strip  that I used to read.  Here is handsome, dapper, brave Smilin' Jack.  I kind of think he probably was pretty well pleased with himself, also.
Now this is the fellow who stuck out in my mind and I couldn't for the life of me remember his name.  All I could remember was the chicken always there always ready to catch the button that popped off his shirt.  So I did some more searching and, lo and behold, his name is  Fat Stuff!
  I don't remember Dixie, but do remember Jack's "hill billy mechanic" Rufus Jimpson. 
Here's Jack in his goggles - just as handsome as ever.  Note that the strip started in the Chicago Tribune in December of 1933.  Long, long ago.  I probably was reading it in the late 30's and early 40's.  Lots of fun old comic strips back then - will look one up once in a while if folks enjoy this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment